Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Strength

I open my mouth to share, I look up numbers, I compose emails......nothing happens. I feel as if I am frozen. Maybe that is why you are reading this for the first time and you did not even hear it from one of us. I have a voice that does not speak.  

In the past I have heard news like this before. It always made me hold my kids closer, weep, pray, and count blessings.

Part of it is denial; if I don't say it, it is not happening. If I don't share, you will not hurt with us.  I am working on finding my voice to share openly instead of hiding my terror behind a text or this blog. However, for now, it is the only voice that works.

Last night we had some pretty amazing prayers in our home. They were special priesthood blessings (see lds.org) given to Corban and myself, calling upon the powers of heaven. For Corban, consecrated oil was used for healing the sick (James 5:14-15).  It has really brought peace and hope. I could feel the strength of God behind every word my husband spoke. He blessed the doctors to be inspired with treatment plans and insights special for Corban. He blessed Corban to be strong and happy. I was blessed with strength to support Corban and our family and with the ability to accept help...

This morning Corban still has a headache, but is better than yesterday. :) I sat with him, stroking his cute head. I asked him what we are doing tomorrow and why we are going to the hospital. He replied, "I have cancer. It is lymphoma...I am going to get really strong medicine, and I cannot remember what it is called." Corban then asked, "Can cancer go away on it's own?" I told him that it usually does not, but that would be really cool if it did. I asked if he had any questions. He said, "Do you think I can bring How to Train your Dragon to play it at the hospital? Usually there is nothing good on T.V.. Oh, and Mom, are they doing surgery???" I replied, "Definitely no surgery, and yes, bring the show and we will see." He gave me one of those adorable smiles that he flashes, so happy that at least he did not have to have surgery.  He then said,  "I am not toooo scared anymore." 
This is him at one year. He always smiled with an open mouth; his smile was just too big to keep it closed. LOL!  I think inside he still smiles the same way.
This is him in true form — undies on backward showing his battle wounds. We all had a laugh over this. Mr. Blue Eyes said, "Stop making me laugh; it makes my headache worse." It was not us that put our underwear on backwards. Well, I haven't actually checked myself, so perhaps I have.... This week anything could have happened.

  Laughter is a medicine I cannot live without.  

15 comments:

  1. Oh Angela..........My heart is filled with prayers and love to you and your amazing family. Love you with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang,I am so sorry that you are going through this! My love and prayers are with you! Wish it could be more than that! Love you all to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Angela! All my love and all my prayers are with you and Corban and your family and the doctors. Love you - Shannon and the Cisneroses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you so much. And that sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you all tomorrow. I hope that you will feel comforted by our Savior. I know you are strong and are being tested, but you have strength beyond even your knowledge. Tap into that. Keep up the reporting. It helps you, it helps us all. I love you and will be home next week to be at your disposal. Loves to Corban. Good luck with the first round of Chemo. loves, brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali told we the trial you and your sweet family is going through. My prayers and thoughts are with all of you!!! And I love the backwards underwear, made me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corban is blessed to have you there to chronicle this difficult journey for him. And you are doing a fine job of it - I am impressed with your clarlity of thought and expressiveness. This journal will help you, your family, your friends, and others you may never even know about.

    That being said, you are in our prayers for as long as you need us, we feel privileged to fast with you for Corban, and if you can think of anything in this world that we can do for you, please say the word!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Angela. I am so sorry I didn't know about the tough road you have been traveling lately. My sister's son was diagnosed with Leukemia Type A when he was three years old, and the heartache and helplessness came back as I've been reading your blog this morning.

    Brett and I will definitely join you in your fast this next Sunday, many prayers will be said by our family on Corban's behalf, and if there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

    Our hearts go out to you and your sweet family, and we know that through these hard times, you are encircled by the arms of the Savior who loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Larsen's are one amazing family! You are loved by so many! The Smith's send their love and prayers your way. We are joining your fast as well. I love his backwards undies!! Such a character. Corban is a trooper! Shelbie says HI to Kaden and hopes he is being a loving brother through it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Angela, my heart is aching for you and your family. We will join in your fasting and prayer this weekend.
    We don't usually know why, or how, but WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!! Tell yourself that over and over again. You can do this, my friend. Rely on those around you to help, and rely on the prayers of those far away.
    Love you, sweet friend. God bless you all.
    Lathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you Ang...I am so sorry for you and the family. I am sad that I don't know your kids better, but I will pray for you all, we will add you to our family prayers and we will include you in our fast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angela--We love you and your family! You are in all of our prayers...even the kids include Corban when blessing the food! Thank you for keeping us posted with this blog. Your family will be part of our fast this Sunday. --Shannon Hyer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela~ If only magic wands existed...My heart aches that Corban is enduring this trial. Witnessing our children suffer, I believe is the worst form of torture. I pray for strength for your family & especially for Corban. He is a strong & sweet boy. If he needs anything or you need anything please utilize your support networks, we are here for each of you & you are individually (and collectively) precious to our family. Flooding the Heavens with prayers~ The Sherratt Family

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love you herm and your sweet family

    ReplyDelete